Nick specializes in providing strategic communications and investor relations counsel to companies engaged in special situations and in connection with ongoing corporate matters. His areas of expertise include:
- Mergers & Acquisitions: He advises companies on friendly and unsolicited transactions, contested mergers, as well as other special situations. Recent assignments include advising International Flavors & Fragrances in its pending acquisition of Frutarom; Genuine Parts in the Reverse Morris Trust transaction to combine its S.P. Richards business with Essendant; DST in its sale to SS&C; BioCryst in its contested merger with Idera; Kindred in its pending sale to Humana, TPG Capital and Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe; Dover in its spin-off of Apergy; Alere in its sale to Abbott Laboratories; FMC Technologies in its cross-border merger of equals with Technip SA; Demandware in its sale to Salesforce; MGM in the spin-off of MGM Growth Properties; Manitowoc in the spin-off of its Foodservice Business; NPS Pharmaceuticals in its sale to Shire and Covidien in its sale to Medtronic.
- Shareholder Activism: Recent assignments include athenahealth (Elliott), Macquarie Infrastructure Corporation (Moab Capital), Acacia (Sidus/BLR), Sina Corporation (Aristeia), Team Inc. (Engine Capital), Buffalo Wild Wings (Marcato), Immunomedics (venBio), Itron (Scopia), Arlington Asset Investment Corp. (Clinton / Imation), Ethan Allen (Sandell), Tempur Sealy (H Partners), Manitowoc (Carl Icahn), Furmanite (Mustang Capital), Mondelez (Trian), Strategic Hotels & Resorts (Orange Capital), Fuel Systems (Becker Drapkin), athenahealth (Greenlight), Quality Systems (Elliott), Oshkosh (Carl Icahn), BMC Software (Elliott), DST Systems (RDG Capital), and CSX (TCI and 3G).
- Restructuring & Bankruptcy: Recent assignments include both out-of-court restructurings and in-court filings under Chapter 11 in the U.S. and CCAA in Canada, as well as Section 363 transactions and 524(g) cases. Clients have included Aquilex, Chassix, Chemtura, CrossHarbor Capital in its acquisition of the Yellowstone Club, FirstEnergy, Horizon Lines, MGM Mirage, Movie Gallery, Muzak, Oi SA, Pilgrim’s Pride, Pinnacle Airlines, Spheris, Toys R Us, Trico Marine Services and United Gilsonite Laboratories.
- Public & Investor Relations: Nick advises public companies across industries and sectors on a range of ongoing IR/PR and corporate positioning matters, including: American Tower, Dover, LifePoint Health, Motorola Solutions, Oshkosh Corporation and Torchmark.
- Crisis Communications: These matters include patent disputes, federal investigations, regulatory inquiries, product recalls, closures and workforce reductions and unplanned leadership changes.
Nick joined Joele Frank in 2007. He received a BA in communications, with a minor in business administration, from Northeastern University.