Sophie provides strategic communications counsel and support to companies involved in a broad range of special situations and high-profile events including mergers and acquisitions, restructuring and bankruptcies, and shareholder activism defense. She also assists clients with crisis preparedness and management, and ongoing investor relations and corporate communications strategy.
- Mergers & Acquisitions: She has advised on a variety of transaction types including contested, go-private and spin-off situations. Notable experience includes working with Red Hat on its pending acquisition by IBM, SUPERVALU on its acquisition by United Natural Foods; Verifone on its go-private transaction with Francisco Partners; Chicago Bridge & Iron on its merger with McDermott International; West Corporation on its go-private transaction with Apollo Global Management; Deltic Timber on its merger with Potlatch; Actua Corporation on the sale of its three majority-owned businesses; Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical in its acquisition of Dimension Therapeutics; and CenturyLink on its merger with Level 3 Communications.
- Restructuring & Bankruptcy: She has experience with both out-of-court restructurings and in-court filings under Chapter 11, as well as Section 363 transactions. Recent clients include The Rockport Group, Bon-Ton Stores, Central Grocers, Memorial Production Partners, Angelica, and Adeptus Health.
- Crisis Preparedness and Communications: She assists and advises companies managing complex crises or special situations, such as large-scale corporate reorganizations, workforce reductions and facility closures, NGO attacks, SEC inquiries, litigation, diversity issues, defense against short sellers, data breaches, and unplanned leadership changes.
- Shareholder Activism & Defense Preparedness: Notable public assignments include SUPERVALU (Blackwells Capital); Avon (Barington); CARS.com (Starboard); DuPont (Trian); Innophos (FrontFour); EZchip (Raging Capital).
- Investor Relations & Corporate Communications: She works closely with management teams and outside financial and legal advisors to develop and enhance clients’ overall communications strategy, including their IR and PR programs, investor days, quarterly earnings preparation, and general investment community outreach.
Sophie joined Joele Frank in 2015. Previously, she worked as a producer at Bloomberg Television. She received a BA in Political Science from Duke University, where she was an Alice M. Baldwin Scholar.