Scott has extensive experience helping companies enhance their overall communications strategy, including internal and external communications, social and digital media strategies, long-term corporate positioning and investor relations. His areas of expertise include:
- Reputation Management, Crisis Communications and Investor Relations: Scott has provided strategic communications counsel and support to a variety of U.S. and international companies.
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Recent assignments include: Allergan in its defense against an unsolicited proposal from Valeant Pharmaceuticals and Pershing Square and its merger with Actavis; Monsanto in its proposal to acquire Syngenta and its merger with Bayer; Cabela’s in its acquisition by Bass Pro Shops; CBOE Holdings in its acquisition of Bats Global Markets; First NBC in its divestiture of nine branches to Whitney Bank; Headwaters in its acquisition by Boral; Outerwall in its going private transaction with Apollo Group; Middleburg Financial in its merger with Access National; Macerich in its defense against Simon Property Group; KeyCorp in its acquisition of First Niagara; Martin Marietta Materials in its acquisition of Texas Industries; Merck in the sale of its consumer care business to Bayer and acquisition of Idenix; AMCOL in its merger with Minerals Technologies; SWS Group in its merger with Hilltop Holdings; Pacer in its merger with XPO Logistics; Verizon Communications in its agreement to acquire Vodafone’s interest in Verizon Wireless; Scientific Games in its merger with WMS Industries; Arbitron in its merger with Nielsen; ACTIVE Network in its acquisition by Vista Equity Partners; Ralcorp in its merger with ConAgra Foods; DigitalGlobe in its acquisition of GeoEye; SuperMedia in its merger with DexOne; Indian Hotels in its offer to acquire Orient-Express; Catalyst Health Solutions in its acquisition of Walgreens Health Initiatives and merger with SXC Health Initiatives; Vector Capital in its offer to acquire Quest Software; Ashland in its acquisition of International Specialty Products; Transatlantic Holdings in its defense against unsolicited bids from Validus Holdings and National Indemnity and its merger with Alleghany Corporation; Entergy and ITC Holdings in their attempted merger; and Deutsche Boerse in its attempted merger with NYSE Euronext.
- Shareholder Activism: Recent assignments include: Abraxas (Clinton Group), Allison Transmission (ValueAct, Ashe Capital), AOL (Starboard), Avid (Starboard), Brookdale Senior Living (Sandell), Clearwater Paper (SAC Capital), Digital Generation (Clinton Group), Lear (Marcato Capital Management and Oskie Capital Management), Macerich (Land & Buildings and Orange Capital), (Outerwall (Engaged Capital, Jana) Nuance (Carl Icahn), Pacer (Becker Drapkin), PLX Technology (Potomac Capital Management), Ralcorp Holdings (Corvex), Sony (Third Point), State Street Corporation (Trian), Stewart Information Services (Starboard, Foundation Asset Management, Bulldog Investors and Engine Capital LP), Taubman (Land & Buildings) and Transatlantic Holdings (Davis Selected Advisors).
- Crisis Communications: He advises companies facing a variety of crisis situations, including data breaches, unplanned management changes, SEC investigations, regulatory actions, litigation, restructurings, fraud and accounting irregularities, internal/board investigations, product recalls and workforce reductions.
- Investor Relations & Corporate Communications: He has extensive experience developing and implementing comprehensive investor relations and corporate communications programs, with a focus on helping publicly traded companies articulate a clear and compelling value proposition and narrative. He has provided strategic counsel and tactical communications support to clients dealing with a broad range of issues and events, including reorganizations, quarterly earnings, financial restructurings, non-deal roadshows, investor days, merger integrations, and other significant corporate developments.
In 2015, Scott received a “Rising PR Star” award from PR News, which recognizes the top professionals in the public relations field for their contributions to the industry. Scott joined Joele Frank in 2010 after previously working in corporate and marketing communications roles for the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond and IBM. He also wrote for several daily newspapers and monthly magazines. Scott received a BS in newspaper journalism from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University.