Jim provides communications counsel for clients across a wide spectrum of industries, with a particular focus on the financial services sector. His areas of expertise include:
- Financial Services: He has counseled financial and banking institutions on a number of matters including M&A, reputation management, proxy solicitations, earnings issues and regulatory concerns. Clients have included AEGON; Bancorp Rhode Island; Cantor Fitzgerald; Central Pacific Financial; Comerica; Citizens Republic Bancorp; Deutsche Bank; Doral Financial; Fifth Street; First Niagara; Independence Community Bank; LPL Financial; Merchants; Metro Bancorp; PFF Bancorp; PNC; South Financial Group; Selective Insurance; Sovereign/Santander; SunTrust; SWS Group; Synovus; TIAA-CREF; and Whitney Holding Corp, among others.
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Recent assignments include Honeywell’s spin off of both its Home product and Transportation Systems Businesses; Dynegy in its merger with Vistra Energy; Impax Laboratories in its combination with Amneal Pharmaceuticals; CenturyLink’s merger with Level 3; Windstream’s merger with EarthLink; Merchants Bank’s merger with Community Bank; Sanofi’s proposal to acquire Medivation; Outerwall’s acquisition by Apollo; InterOil’s acquisition by ExxonMobil; Valspar’s acquisition by Sherwin-Williams; Airgas’ acquisition by Air Liquide; Avon’s strategic partnership with Cerberus; Yum! Brands’ separation of its Yum! China business; First Niagara’s Acquisition by KeyCorp; Interval Leasure’s acquisition of Starwood Hotels’ vacation ownership business; Cox Automotive’s acquisition of Dealertrack; CommScope’s acquisition of certain TE Connectivity businesses; W.R. Grace’s spin-off of its construction products business; Volcano’s acquisition by Philips; Rockwood’s merger with Albermarle; Pilgrim’s Pride’s proposal to acquire Hillshire Brands; Rayonier’s separation of its performance fibers business; Clearwire’s acquisition by Sprint; LINN Energy/LinnCo’s acquisition of Berry Petroleum; Citizen Republic’s acquisition by FirstMerit; Catalyst’s acquisition by SXC; Alexander & Baldwin’s separation of its Matson business; Ralcorp’s defense against ConAgra’s unsolicited acquisition proposal; Airgas’ defense against Air Products’ unsolicited acquisition proposal; NRG Energy’s defense against Exelon’s unsolicited acquisition proposal; and PNC’s acquisition of National City.
- Shareholder Activism: Recent assignments, including defending against short sale campaigns: Herbalife (Pershing Square); Rent-A-Center (Engaged); Outerwall (Engaged); Avon (Barington); Air Methods (Voce); Fifth Street (RiverNorth, Ironsides); Benchmark Electronics (Engaged); TriMas (Engaged); Tempur Sealy (H Partners); Globalstar (Kerrisdale); Jamba (Engaged); Aaron’s (Vintage, Starboard); Callon (Lone Star Value); AeroVironment (Engaged); Volcano (Engaged); Ferro (FrontFour, Quinpario); and State Street (Trian).
- Restructuring & Bankruptcy: He has advised numerous companies in connection with both Court-supervised and out-of-Court restructurings, as well as bidders in the acquisition of distressed assets under Section 363. Assignments include USEC (now Centrus); Savient Pharmaceuticals; Barneys New York; Dynegy; MGM MIRAGE; Chemtura; Pierre Foods; Mervyns; Greatwide Logistics; The Mills; and Krispy Kreme Doughnut.
- Investor & Public Relations: He works with companies to develop and/or enhance their communications programs: coordinating between the company, the financial community and key stakeholders to help support and achieve objectives. Current clients include State Street, CenturyLink, Avon, Arrow Electronics, Flowers Foods, Host Hotels, Teradata, Selective Insurance, as well as a number of financial and banking institutions.
Jim joined Joele Frank in 2005. Previously he worked in Deutsche Bank’s Institutional Client Sales Group and prior to that he was with Standish Mellon Asset Management of Boston on its fixed income trading desk. He received a B.S. in organizational communications, cum laude, from Northeastern University.